Silver clay was invented in Japan. The silver is reclaimed from the film and medical industries where it is sometimes a waste product. This industrial waste is reprocessed by a complex system. The silver is extracted out of the waste material and is ground into a fine powder then mixed with organic binders and water. This resulting clay-like material can be shaped, moulded and sculpted into your chosen designs. It progresses through a drying and refining process. When it is kiln, torch or gas hob fired, the binders burn away leaving 99.9% pure silver ready to be hallmarked. Please note that if you want to sell any jewellery that you make using silver clay, then in the UK you are legally required to add your hallmark to any item weighing 7.78gm or more. Further information is available in the Hallmarking page.
Craftworx offers a selection of courses suitable for the complete beginner through to the advanced enthusiast and professional. Our target and project based workshops are divided into four different expertise levels to ensure each of our students are able to learn professional techniques and take new skills away with them.
Whatever your level, there’s a Craftworx course for you!
Aimed at the experienced enthusiast, active artist or professional tutors, these classes are delivered by visiting expert tutors that will be teaching unique techniques and projects that they have developed.
We aim to enhance your existing skills and truly challenge your abilities so you leave the studio with new ideas, fresh expertise and inspiration for your own creations.
If you feel you have a good level of ability but you definitely have areas in which you could improve, our intermediate courses are ideal for you. We will assume you have a basic level of understanding and experience in working with metal clay and will help you to expand your skill set and knowledge, so you can wow your friends and family with your new creations.
Aimed at the compete beginner with little or no experience of getting creative, we can help you to start to understand and improve your confidence and teach you some of the basics, so you can create simple pieces that can be repeated easily. We promise you will feel a real sense of achievement when you leave the studio and you will be confident enough to start applying your new skills at home!
- Introduction to Silver Clay - Beginner
- Anodised Aluminium - Beginner
- Babyprints - Beginner
- Balance Pendant - Intermediate
- Beads and Hollow Forms - Intermediate
- Dragon's Eyes Pendant - Intermediate
- Dreamcatcher Pendant - Intermediate
- Focal Box Pendant - Intermediate
- Linked-In Chains - Intermediate
- Ring Making - Intermediate
- Glass and Silver - Intermediate
- Scarab - Intermediate
- Swing Garden Locket - Intermediate
- Silver Framed Bead Pendant - Intermediate
- Crowning Glory Claw Set Ring - Intermediate/Advanced
- Infinity Ring - Intermediate/Advanced
- Mixed Metal Jewellery - Intermediate/Advanced
- Stone Setting in Silver Clay - Intermediate/Advanced
- Hidden Spirit Pendant - Advanced
- Treasured Prayer Locket (Hinged Boxes) - Advanced
- Copper & Silver - Advanced
- ACWUK Diploma - Advanced
- Hexactly Locket - Masterclass
- Filigree Orb Locket - Masterclass
- Freya's Tears Amulet - Masterclass
- Screw Top Poison Ring - Masterclass
A warm welcome awaits you at Craftworx Metal Clay Studio
In addition to our scheduled programme of classes, this workshop is also available for
- private 1-2-1 tuition
- group bookings of 4 or more will be offered at a discounted rate
- Please contact us for availability
You can contact us for further information or secure your place on any of our courses by calling us to pay your registration fee. By booking onto one of our courses, you agree to abide by the Craftworx terms & conditions. All classes are held at our studio in Bishop Burton, E. Yorks unless otherwise stated.